Wednesday, March 2, 2011

LETTING THE COUGAR LOOSE.........

WOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO . Back in the saddle... We got to South Georgia Motorsports Park late wednesday night. In usual Stevie fashion , the car had only been running for 5 days. Me and the boys have spent the last 4 months working our behinds off updating the car from front to back. We were anxious to see if the hard word would pay off and a little nervous. We rolled out the box early thursday morning and went to the line with a pretty gangster tune up in . I just wanted to see if it would hold. Well it didnt. Smoke immediately. So much for cowboy style. I backed her down and strolled on down the track like we were on a sunday drive. 4.59. Good solid starting point. I never have been one to leave well enough alone, So i kept letting the reins loose and by the time qualifying was to start friday, I thought we were ready. I tried several different things testing and by this time I had figured out exactly how hard I could push the hot rod without making her come loose. We decided to run two classes at the last minute. We ran Radial Vs The World, and Outlaw Radial. Basically Radial vs the world is an open class, tube chassis cars, backhalf cars, wheelie bars, etc etc are allowed. Outlaw Radial is a stock suspension class for drag radial cars. We turned loose of the button first round of Radial vs the world and smoked the clocks with a 4.48 @178 mph. Thats a new supercharged drag radial world record. That also made us the first procharged drag radial car in the 4.60's, the 4.50's, and now the 4.40's. We were estatic and whats worse is, the car just eases down the track like its on cruise control. Which is good for us........ but bad for everybody else. By the time qualifying was over , We were qualified first in Outlaw Radial, and 3rd in Radial Vs The World. The Killintime Machine was doing exactly as I told her to. Which is awesome. We lucked up and got a broke opponent first round bye in both classes. I dont know how that happens, but I guess the man was looking out for us. I went red on the tree in the quarter finals of radial vs the world. This is only the third time in my life I have ever went red and it was a kick in the head. There were some extenuating circumstances surrounding this redlight. But Ill keep it to myself. We went all the way to the finals, Each round we went faster than the round before. I was in the zone and we all knew it. The final round was an all Procharger affair. Big Johnson reached behind me and un clipped the leash that the boys normally keep on me during eliminations. I tend to get a little excited at times and the sometimes have to remind me that you dont always have to go for it. Well this time we were going for it. We had been down the track the last 8 passes in a row and I felt good. I put the tooombawooommba jackhawk 9000 tune up in it and to the line we went. We burned in and staged. I could feel the sweat from the hot georgia night running down my face. I went to the break, the tree fell and controlled chaos was in motion. The ole orange pumpkin snapped out of the lights like a jailbreak. 1.15 sixty foot. He was still there. I could hear him. 200 feet out i stretched the ole girls legs and made my move. 2.6 g's pinned me in the seat . We buzzed the 330 clocks with a 2.98. When the W came on, I almost couldnt believe it. 4.400 @179 mph. The crowd went wild. I was so happy I almost forgot to stop. It was a wonderful feeling to be headed to victory lane again. Our first trip in over a year. All is once again right with the world. I owe so many people thanks that I dont know where to start. Thanks to the lord first. My beautiful Wife, for putting up with my 20 hour a day work schedule and loving me enough to allow me to chase my dream. My family and Crew, You guys work your butts off. Tommy Kirk at Mac Fab beadlock conversions, Without you we wouldnt have even cranked the motor up before the race. Dave W at Procharger, Your support has never waivered, We are not done with these turbo's yet. Robert at Abby's Performance Engines in Clearwater, Sc. We have a bad ass bullet, Robert is always there when I need him, Its nice to do business with people that really care. Many a night Robert has been up late working to keep me on the track. Tommy and Carl at Mickey Thompson, You guys have stuck with me through thick and thin. Cameron at Torque Converter Services, Yes that 179.76 mph is legit. Chris Tuten, The Grand Poobah of boost. Always there to help when I am lost or need encouragement in a hurry. Van and Neil at 2 Keys Customs, always keeping me shiny and sometimes its a full time job. My buddy Dean, something broke our front windshield sat night on our last run. We couldnt find a glass shop that would help, So Dean had someone from back home cut a windshield out of another car at midnight and drive all the way from home and put it in at 4:30 AM. My partner and friend Phil Shuler, Always ready to help no matter how crazy or complicated my ideas are. And to all the haters, Its going to be a long year. See everybody in Palm Beach Thursday.

No comments: