Monday, October 25, 2010
There is so much to say about the last 5 days that its hard to put it all down. We woke up thursday morning and got the hot rod out of the box. We were very anxious to make some test hits because up to this point we still havent been fast. We hustled around to staging and was the third car in line to head down a green track. I burned in and rolled to the beams. I was completely shell shocked when I let go of the button and the car actually headed forward. I was on a lick and I knew it. At the 400 ft mark the left front tire was still dangling. I smoked the clocks with a 4.57 straight off the trailer. The new motor started showing some signs of life.... We tested all day thursday and most of the day friday not able to best the off the trailer pass. First round of qualifying was friday night and It was time to get to work. I decided to detune the car significantly to get her down the track, which is where she went. We ran a 4.66.. Which put us ninth out of a 61 car field. We still had two rounds of qualifying left and This was the fastest field of small tire cars I had ever seen. Saturday when our turn came up I decided to squeeze on the new motor a little. At the sixty foot I knew we were moving and the time slip showed it. 4.59 at 169.94 mph. That moved us to fifth with one round left before the field was set.....The redneck in me wouldnt let me not step on the car a little more So I squeezed a little more on the tune up. The ole orange heap was back in rare form screaming down the track netting a 4.54 at 172 mph. That put us third out of 61 cars. We were pretty happy with this And I still felt as though we had more left. Sunday morning the sun was out. A gorgeous day for drag racing. First round of eliminations I eased the reins back a little, wanting to go down the track. She did exactly what I told her and took the round win with a 4.59 at 169.99. It seems at this point that I had found my stride and the car was responding to what I was telling her. Second round The density altitude was about 400 feet worse than the first so I decided to leave the first round tune up alone and let the air detune the motor for me. After sitting in staging for two hours the air had gotten better. I should have gotten the computer and detuned the car but the track looked good so I made the call to leave the car alone and let it eat. WRONG. When I turned her loose, all she ate was the back tires slap off. It smoked at the hit of the throttle and I couldnt get it to recover. The weekend was over. I was pretty bummed out at first but then I realized that things could have been far worse. At this point the new engine had been running for two weeks and we had made some decent licks. I feel that we have a solid powerplant. I just need some time to figure out how to make it work. I put 52 passes on the motor in two weeks, So she is coming apart now for new rings, bearings, and rods. Then its back to the track to test. See yall soon.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
After a week and a half of testing, we are headed to valdosta. The ORTC race is this weekend and we cant wait. I wish we were more prepared, but we did make the most out of our last week and a half. I have learned alot about the new setup, and although we havent been fast yet, I feel that it's just around the corner. The car seems to be making good solid power. I am however still learning what to do with it all. Sorry for the short post but its late and I have been up wrenching on the hotrod for 24 hours. We should pull into South Georgia Motorsports Park around 3 am, Testing all day tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed......
Monday, October 11, 2010
We hauled the ole heap down to valdosta this past saturday to do some testing . It was a beautiful day out and we got there early. Basically to make a long story short, we found a bunch of things that we need to fix and found somethings that we did fix. It was a pretty good test day. No fast numbers but it takes a little time to sort out a new combo. We didnt break anything so I already feel like im winning. I have to change a couple things on the car this week and then its off to Carolina dragway thursday to burn in. With some luck we should start seeing some E.T improvements this week.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Well boys and girls, I have finally busted off the new engine. It has been a long summer and I am really fired up to finally have this thing done. When I tell you that this thing has been a struggle, believe me. Everything from wrong parts to stuff that doesnt fit to shipping damage has plauged us all summer. We have been working on this engine since last october when we broke our good motor. Last night I hit the starter button and the ole girl fired up just like street car. With a little luck I should be ready to test the car by the weekend. I havent burned the orange car in, since May so I am pretty anxious to get behind the wheel. We will test it Saturday night at Carolina dragway, and next weekend at Orangeburg Dragstrip. That only gives me two test sessions to get the car sorted out before we head south for the ORTC race. The weather down south is perfect right now for racing. I updated a photo of the new engine on my website, I will get some more pics soon. I will update you guys as soon as I test it. One more thing, Thanks to all of you who have been patient with our abscence from the track these last 5 months. Your emails and calls have been an inspiration. I hated to sit the summer out, But there comes at time when you have to back up and stop patching stuff. Since last october when we broke our good motor we have been racing with these bullshit childrens motors that I have put together from parts laying around the shop. Before long, you are patching the patches. It was time to back up and get our ducks in a row. And to those of you that have been talking shit, ( You know who you are) I am coming for your ass. BET THAT.